A 1934 building once used for structural and mechanical testing was transformed last year into a state-of-the-art facility where the physics of warfighters’ power and thermal systems are being explored.
Now the building itself has garnered a seldom-achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certified status.
Bldg. 23, the former Static Test Laboratory, had been largely unused as a laboratory environment for many years. Through a $21 million fiscal 2010 military construction effort, AFRL teamed with Messer Construction Co., the 88 Air Base Wing Civil Engineer Directorate and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Louisville District to transform the structure into a modern lab facility.
Bldg. 23′s original facades were retained as a brick “skin” covering the 53,000-square-foot, three-story structure.
The building was refurbished with sustainable design and environmental considerations in mind, meeting the criteria for a LEED Gold certification in accordance with the U.S. Green Building Council‘s rating system and complying with the Energy Independence and Security Act.
According to the Army Corps of Engineers, the rating was achieved through brand-new mechanical systems that produce a 31 percent energy savings, decrease water use by 45 percent and other environmentally friendly measures that were incorporated throughout the building.
Those processes include:
- 20 percent of the materials used were locally sourced
- 78 percent of the construction debris was recycled or reused offsite instead of going into a landfill
- preferred parking for fuel-efficient vehicles is offered to encourage their use